Saturday, November 05, 2005

St. Nicholas

I bought Nicholas some new underwear today.

Since Nicholas is my one of middle children, he usually gets the least amount of attention compared to the other three. But despite his unfortunate birth order, Nicholas is probably my most easy going child. He has friends in every corner of the town;his brothers think of him as their hero, and he is happy to just go along and do his thing. He loves life and has not a care in the world. He doesn't SEEM to be suffering from a lack of attention from his mom but how do I really KNOW? He is an easy, low-maintenance child. He doesn't notice or complain that his closet has less clothes in it than the rest of the children, never complains that sometimes he has to wear Jack or Gus's size 6 underwear simply because he does not have enough in his size (10), and is happy to wear the same clothes over again the next day. (Now, I have to put my foot down somewhere. I tell him he MUST wear clean clothes everyday, period.) There ARE days that he makes it out of the house wearing the same shorts as the day before, but hey, I just don't pay close attention....UG!

I was at Marshalls the other day and remembered that Nick needed new underwear.I saw that there was a sale on boys underwear and purchased a 3 pack for the poor soul. I bought them alittle big since he has been growing so quickly these days. I proudly placed them on his bed for him to use after he had his bath.


Nick: (yelling from upstairs) Mom, these underwear don't make me feel too good.

Me: (downstairs) Why Nick? Come down and show me.

Nick: (plods down the steps, walks into the den with his shorts down by his knees revealing his new underwear) I think they are too big. You bought me a size 20.(Get this, the crotch is HANG-ING below his privates)

Me: Well, Nick, I bought them alittle bigger than normal, but they should be OK. Are they really a size 20??? Pull them up over your belly button.

Nick: (confused) Over my belly button? That would be weird. (He does it)

Me: OK, now that looks better. What do you think?

Nick: (He smiles that sweet Nick smile and laughs) Well, I guess it will do.

Nick then pulls up his shorts and heads for the bed. Not one complaint.

He is a saint.

No comments: