My OB informed me the other day that she has made plans to transfer to another hospital permanently. Only problem is that her last day at the hospital I am delivering at is September 29th...my due date. It also happens to be by daughter's birthday. So my doctor made me an offer I could not refuse. She told me that her last day in labor and delivery was to be September 27th and asked if I wanted to be induced that day with her there instead of waiting for "mother nature." I told her that mother nature was over-rated when you have four kids at home and for that reason, September 27th sounded FINE with me! So dear readers, barring any emergency or early delivery, come hell or high water, the 5th Clemens baby will arrive sometime on September 27th!
Now that the date is settled, I only had one problem: How to tell Rebecca that the baby would not be born on her birthday. Believe it or not, she was really hoping that the baby would come into this world and have the same birthday as her. I didn't want to disappoint her, but knew I had to break the news to her gently:
Me: Rebecca, guess what? The doctor said we are going to induce this baby on September 27. What do you think of that?
Becca: What? The baby won't be born on my birthday?
Me: No, but what I can do is bring the baby HOME on your birthday instead. It will be your birthday present. What do you think of that?
Becca: (Silent for a few seconds) I hope that won't be my only present.