Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A Book Meme.

Chad over at On the silent planet has tagged me to answer a few questions about books. I'm not a big reader mostly because time is hard to find when you have four kids and one on the way, but if I think hard, I do have a few answers to the questions.

1. One book that changed your life:

I don't have a book that sticks out in my mind as changing my life, but I can honestly say that there have been many people who have.

2. One book that you've read more than once:

Do people do that? I think I read Little Women twice when I was an adolescent.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:

Boatmaking for Dummies

4. One book that made you laugh:

Captain Underpants and the perilous plot of Professor Poopypants

5. One book that made you cry:

The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks. Sappy, but great for an emotional release.

6. One book that you wish had been written:

The Practical Guide for a Successful Catholic Marriage. We Catholics just don't have enough day-to-day guidance to help us succeed in marriage. We mostly have to go it alone and make unnecessary mistakes along the way.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:

Our Bodies, Ourselves
--a classic on modern feminism and about the right to an abortion. Poison, people; just poison on our society.

8. One book you're currently reading:

The Privilege of Being a Woman-Alice von Hildebrand,
The author shows that feminism's attempts to gain equality with men by imitation of men is unnatural, foolish, destructive and self-defeating. She elaborates the privilege women have in being naturally more capable of human concerns, self-gift, sensitivity dignity, loveliness, heroic sacrifice and a great ability to awaken what is best in men through their very weakness and tenderness.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:

The Death of Innocents by Sr. Helen Prejean- An eyewitness account of wrongful executions.

Now, tagging:

Amy Caroline

Michelle

Jen

Christine

Christophersly





6 comments:

Michelle said...

"Boatmaking for Dummies"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Promise I'll do this later...

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Very cool! Working on mine now...

Anonymous said...

Georgie:
I love your blog! Found it through Jennifer F.'s links. I come here whenever I need a pick me up. :0)

Anyway, on this..

6. One book that you wish had been written:

The Practical Guide for a Successful Catholic Marriage. We Catholics just don't have enough day-to-day guidance to help us succeed in marriage. We mostly have to go it alone and make unnecessary mistakes along the way.


...Have you ever read anything by Greg Popcak?

He has a book called For Better Forever: A Catholic Guide to a LifeLong Marriage that is simply wonderful. If it isn't the very book you were wishing for, it's as close as anybody could ever get.

Oh yeah, Popcak is a totally faithful Catholic. He even incorporates some of JPII's Theology of The Body into the sections on contraception and sexuality. Again, simply an amazing book.

Just thought you might be interested.

Georgie Tamayo Clemens said...

Hi Steve,

I know you as well through Jen's blog...glad you stop by.

I will definately check the book out that you are suggesting. I'm impressed with our Protestant brothers and sisters wonderful array of books on how to stay married, good communication, faithfulness to Christ and on and on. These books are so very practical on day to day issues. I wish we had such a large selection of books on such topics. Many of our books on these topics are so THEOLOGICALLY HEAVY. Average Catholic couples have a hard time with that.. so in turn, many of the families I work with give up on our church and go to these Protestant churches that offer practical advice.

Amy said...

I finally got it up! Sorry it took so long! :D I think too much sometimes and just could not come up with answers. Maybe it is lack of sleep. Something you will be enjoying soon too!!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Just discovered your blog through rosetta stone! Love it.

Thanks for sharing yourself and your insight! Congrats on baby number 5 being on the way as well. What a blessing.

Also, thanks sto Steve, I am ordering that fab book on catholic marriage. You are so right about us poor catholics being fed to the wolves when it comes to any reliable resourses on CATHOLIC marriage and lasting love. Lots of protestant options. ( Also, I really loved Stormie O'martian's book, Power of a Praying Wife--not catholic but excellent nonetheless)