Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Kissy, Kissy

Most nights when it's time to get ready for bed, I usually get moans and groans from the boys about how they are not ready for bed. They usually resort to various time consuming activities to weaken my resolve like asking for "one more book" or " a drink of water" or " I just need to get one thing from the toy room!" (They sleep with numerous hard, plastic knights, dragons, and weapons) When I mention that it is time for a bath, Jack and Gus will simutaneously say things like, "But we just had one YES-TUR-DAY!" or "NO,MOOOOM. Please....I don't need a bath, only Nick does 'cause he's bigger". I usually stand strong when attacked with a bombardment of these requests and insist that my commands be met; but last night I cracked. I gave in. I couldn't help it. It was so sweet.

After the kids were in bed (or so we thought) Chris and I were sitting in the living room talking when we heard that familiar sound of footsteps coming down the steps. Who was it this time? Is it Jack wanting another story? Gus wanting a drink of water? Nick needing some sort of medicine to cure a phantom ache? A few seconds later, Gus's head peeked from around the corner. He looked at me a smiled shyly and said,

"Mom. Can I kiss the baby goodnight?"

I was totally unprepared for that kind of request, so I said yes.

Gus (who saw his window of opportunity) bounded from around the corner, came over to me and wrapped his arms around my growing belly. "Goodnight baby" he said and kissed my tummy gently. Afterwards, he gave me a smile and a kiss and snuck back upstairs to the bed.

So much for standing strong. I guess I'll get two visits tonight.

No comments: