Tuesday, December 27, 2005

If you want to see God laugh, tell 'em your plans.

A year of preparation and the big day came to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. My mom did a fine job in coordinating all the details of the event: the D.J. was there, the food was yummy, cousins were laughing as we all reminisced about our younger years, the reception hall was decorated, the lights sparkled and even my younger kids stayed dressed long enough for pictures! (Gus and Jack have NO patience for dress clothes...I have about 5 minutes to take pictures and then they start stripping!) It was all wonderful and well-planned except for the part we did not expect: Dad was deathly ill and mom wasn't far behind him.

Me: (2 days before the party, en route from N.C.) Mom, are you ready for the big night?

Mom: Yes! But your dad is sick.

Me: What! You've got to be kidding! How bad is he?

Mom: (trying to sound upbeat.) Oh, he'll be O.K., he just has a sore throat.

Me: (interpreting her tone and diagnosis) Mom, get him some anti-biotics and Gatoraid. This is NOT good.

Mom: All he needs is some rest, he'll be just fine.

Well, mom tried to stay positive, but as soon as I arrived and saw my dad's lethargic body and "out of it" facial expression, I knew we needed to change the day's schedule and shorten the celebration. We called all of our guests and informed them that we had to cancel the Mass, but to meet us at the reception hall as planned. God bless my mom and dad. As sick as they were, they slowly dressed themselves for the big event and hauled their sick bodies in the car. My siblings and I pretty much propped them up in their chairs at the reception hall so that they could watch the dancing and tribute we had created for them. They smiled and laughed, but only my siblings and I knew how sick they really were.

The next day, my parents felt sick enough to call the the ambulance. They refused to let Chris drive them to the hospital because they felt they would get immediate care going in that way. They lay in two different rooms in the emergency room. "In sickness and in health", I thought to myself, "50 years together and there they were...sick as dogs."

My parents are fine now. They both had suffered viral infections that had zapped their energy and enthusiasm on their big day. They are not fully 100% a week after their celebration, but they are still smiling and loving each other as on every other day. The important news is that they have officially made it! 50 years of marriage, commitment and faith in God. Sick or not, nothing can change the power of love (or Gatoraide!) Below are some pictures from the reception:




My mom and dad have a small kiss before they drink wine.



The couple of honor after 50 years!



Rebecca and Chris during the father/daughter dance part of the evening.



Here are some of the grandkids with grandma and grandpa before we leave for the 50th anniversary reception. Jack and Gus are pictured up front, Nick is on the far right, and Rebecca is in the back row in her RED dress.



Jack in front of a knight in shining armor. Sooooo handsome!

No comments: