Sunday, December 25, 2005

Jesus Under Wraps

When I arrived in Texas with my family a week ago, I noticed that my mom and dad had decorated the house beautifully for Christmas.

In the formal living room there stood the Christmas tree. My parent’s artificial tree was illuminated with colored lights and decorated with red and white ornaments, candy canes, icicles and pearl garland. There were very few Christmas presents under the tree, but that would soon change.

Underneath the tree is a ceramic foot-long baby Jesus laying in his crib. His arms are outstretched as if he were reaching for his mom. He has a smile on his face and his head lays on a bed of straw and cotton. Wrapped in his swaddling clothes, that ceramic baby reminded me of the real reason we celebrate this season. I was glad to see Him there when I came home to Texas.

As the week progressed, more family arrived and placed gifts under the tree. I noticed that Jesus was looking a bit cramped underneath the tree. I thought, “hum, maybe I’ll put a gift in his arms so that we don’t accidentally cover him up with gifts.” And so I put a small box in his outstretched arms and was satisfied with my attention of Him.

Alas, more family came and generously brought gifts. In no time, Jesus was completely covered up and forgotten under the tree. I happily ran off to visit, eat, play, and plan for the big day of Christmas! The big day came with all the fanfare that accompanies the day: Mass, family, gifts, mounds of wrapping paper, food and laughter. It was a wonderful celebration of Christ’s birth, but as I look under the tree at the end of the day, I see that He is back….uncovered again…sitting in the same spot… still smiling…arms outstretched….waiting.

I learned a good lesson about human nature today that I think symbolizes our human relationship with Jesus. We cover him up when we are busy or concerned with worldly things but there He remains under all the ‘stuff ‘, waiting for us to reach for him. My prayer for all of us this Christmas is that we be more conscious of Christ in our lives on the good days when we tend to forget that His is there…waiting for us to notice.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

No comments: