Sunday, December 04, 2005

Lost and Found

One does not ever realize "how much" they have until they go through an organizing spurt.

I've been meaning to go through the playroom toy boxes for months and months to purge and clean, but it wasn't until Chris bought me some clear storage boxes did I get the 'bug' to sort the kids toys. I knew that my kids had many toy favorites, but never realized the number of PIECES that accompany these favorites. Many toys are ignored because the boys can't find the one crucial piece that makes it interesting. Because of this well-known toy problem, there are many great toys in the toy room that have needed MOM to come through and find the missing pieces. We worked on that tonight. (You can imagine the enthusiasm of the kids----it was not pretty.)

I gave each child a clear plastic box and gave them direct orders on what to fill the box with.

Me: Jack, fill this box with all the leggo pieces you can find. Becca, fill this box with any Star Wars toys you can find. Nick fill this box with knights and anything associated with knights. Gus, put all the playmobil items in a box.....etc.etc. etc until the boxes were filled with the same kind of item. I announced that no one was to do anything but organize. (You probably heard the groaning all they way at your house.)

Puzzle pieces were found. Dominos and Army men were found. Itty bitty pieces to the playmobil pirate ship were located and it seemed that we found more Match-Box cars than we ever thought one family could own! We also found lost socks that were eaten by the couch, leggos by the thousands, game pieces, and stuffed beanie babies. When a crucial piece was found...you heard, " Yes! I've been looking for that!!! But what really struck ME was how well each of the children could identify toy pieces. I mean, I would have some discombobulated piece of plastic in my hand, and my 5 year old knew what toy it belonged to and promptly attached it. This happened over and over again!!!

You would have thought it was Christmas today in the playroom after all the toys were found and put in their respective storage units. I thought to myself, " Man, who needs Christmas...just look for any lost pieces and you have a whole new toy again!" AND despite all the groaning, the kids eventually got in the spirit of our "family activity" and ALMOST enjoyed themselves.

They certainly enjoyed having their completed toys and will enjoy them until.....
we have to organize again.

No comments: