Sunday, December 11, 2005

I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart!

Trying to keep Christ the center of Christmas is always a battle in my home this time of year. I try numerous subliminal and not so subliminal tactics on my children so that they know that Advent is about waiting on Christ, on his Incarnation, his birth on Christmas Day. Here are a few things that are working...sort of...

1. The Advent Wreath: During a Generations of Faith family session at the parish, we built our own Advent wreath with Magnolia leaves and golden baubles to make it pretty. I added a gold bow, and wallah! The Clemens Advent Wreath. It's on the center of the table and the kids take turns blowing out the candles at the end of dinner. As I light the candles, we sing, Oh, Come Oh Come Emmanuel as our dinner prayer. It's a nice addition to our Advent traditions.

2. Oh Little Poster of Bethlehem: I have a poster of the town of Bethlehem taped to the window next to the dinner table. Each night, the kids and I count down to Christmas by reading a short scripture verse afterwhich a sticker symbolizing that scripture is placed somewhere on the poster. I tend to hear, "It's MY turn to put on the sticker!" They really LOVE that one.

3. Our Nativity Set: I purchased a very small, child size Nativity set this year which I placed in the family den. The younger children love to stare at the figurines..gently touching the angel and baby Jesus. It was inexpensive, so if it get destroyed, no harm done. But it's good to have a Nativity in the room they spend most of their time in...a good reminder of the time of year.

4. Reading Christmas Books: Gus always hands me the book, "Who was born on this special day"
It is a lovely picture book about Jesus' birth.
Reading religious books along with traditional books add a mystery and anticipation to Advent for kids.

The final thing that I have out is NOT directly related to Advent at all, but entertains my kids and bring them that ineffable joy. Last January, I purchased a cute miniature skating rink with miniature skaters on it. It was 90% off! Who could resist! Anyway, these skaters skate in mezmorizing circles with the help of unseen magnets under the rink. But the influence this small item has on my family is funny. Becca comes in from school and turns on the Christmas music that accompanies the skaters, eats her snack and decompresses by staring at the skaters for 10 minutes or more. Nick comes, turns up the volume and moves the figures around by lifting them and dropping them to see where they land.

I never know what I'm going to find in that rink on any given day.

The other day, Chris thought it would be funny to put my rounded refrigerator magnets in the rink and watch the skaters crash into them and push them around. Sick puppy that he is.

The other day, Gus and Jack were playing with the figurines by sticking one skater on top of the other...and another....until finally when I walked by; there was a dogpile of skaters floating on the rink.

Gus: Hey mom look! The skaters are all on top of each other skating...its SO awesome!

Anyway, these things seem to be having SOME effect on the Advent spirit in my house. But the rink brings that extra-special JOY that is required this time of year. Get yourself a rink (I bought it at Dillard's last year) and bring joy into your home this Advent. The joy is contagious!

No comments: