Thursday, December 01, 2005

My lesson for the day

Why is it that when you are most overloaded, you find out that there is not one stick of food in the house worth eating? That's how it was tonight and to be quite frank, I was NOT in the mood for cooking, nor did I have the energy. So I announced to the kids that we were "going out!" They all voted to eat at Chick-fil-a at University Mall mostly because the toy store is located next to the restaurant and it has their favorite toys: Playmobil!!!! (I confess that all the employees at Chick-fil-a know my name..we go there alot.)

Dinner goes like it normally does: Gus gets so excited about sharing a thought that he ends up standing the whole time to which I respond, "Gus, sit down. Gus, sit down. Gus, sit down...over and over again." Jack sits, but with only one "cheek" on the chair as if at any moment he will need to dart out to conquer some imaginary bad guy to which I respond, "Jack, sit with both cheeks on the chair. No, Jack, that is still one cheek; I said BOTH cheeks". (Can you imagine what people are thinking around us? Nick sits nicely, but tends to overeat...which in turn makes him need to use the restroom. (I don't EVEN want to know what happens in there when he's bloated. All I know is that he comes out happy.) Rebecca stayed home to do homework and eat her favorite: PBJ. She wanted nothing to do with the boys tonight.

Dinner was relatively pleasant, so we decided to stroll about the mall and pick up some black pants that Nick would be needing for his performance in the "holiday" parade this weekend. (He'll be drumming with the elementary school's drum core...should be interesting since I've never heard Nick seriously drum. That, no doubt, will be another entry in the blog.) Anyway, as we were sorting through boys clothes at Dillard's, I spied a good sale of summer clothes. There were some Ralph Laren Polo boys dress shirts at a great discount, only problem was that they were multi-colored and very "springy" and feminine looking. I thought they were nice and would be good for the summer, but when I asked Nick if he liked them, he looked at me seriously and said, " No. Too many colors make me nauseas. I can only handle one or two colors." "OK." I said trying not to burst out in laughter, "we'll look for solid colored shirts from now on."

"Thanks mom. I don't want to throw up." (Nick has always had a weak stomach, but I NEVER knew multi-colors made him sick) I learned that the things that overload me as a mom are quite different than what overloads my child Nick. Either way, we both avoided the thing that made us feel woozy tonight. For me it was the thought of cooking another meal, and for him......girl colors on a guy's shirt. Somehow, I can understand that.

No comments: