Saturday, October 22, 2005

Die job

It was time for my quarterly visit to the beauty shop where I plunk down $100 to cover those grey hairs and become the "blond" that I think I am inside. Hey, $100 is a bargain when I think of how I much better I feel after the 2hr long process that INCLUDES taking a short nap, reading junk magazines (PEOPLE is my fav.), having an adult conversation (uninterrupted)AND watching other women do the same thing to themselves. Does anyone truly realize how funny we look with all that aluminum foil on our head? It's like some 70's space movie.

My regular beautician quit last month so I went to another gal she recommended. (Always scary to change.) Anyway, I plopped myself into the chair, ready for my "space helmet" when my new beautician said,

"That color is not flattering with your skin tone." I was surprised by her comment so I said, "Oh! Well, Hum, What do you recommend?"

"Darker tones..get away from those blond streaks..they don't do you justice."

Since it is Autumn and I was kind of looking for a change, I agreed to her suggestion that I go DARKER not BLONDER.

Long story short, not only was I darker, she made me positively BRUNETTE with a few subtle highlights mixed in and I felt like another women! I liked what I saw in the mirror and made me excited to show everyone at home. So I paid my $100 and headed for home wondering what Rebecca and the boys would think of my new hairdo.

As I walked into the house, I called to the boys:

Me: Boys! Come see mom!

I heard the boys thundering down the stairs, they stopped and gave me kisses and told me things about their day. They totally didn't notice. Boys.

Me: Becca! I have something to show you..come down!

Becca: What.

I got in her face making sure she had a good view of the hair in all its glory.

Becca: Mom! What. Why are you acting so strange?

So finally I said:

Me: My hair is a different color, what do you think?

Becca: Well, I like it, but with your make-up, you kind of look trailer park trashy!

Trailer Park Trashy! What was she thinking!

Afterwards, I headed down to Nick's school where they were putting on a talent show for the victims of Katrina. Nick and his friend, Michael were doing a comedy routine and I planned to be there to watch along with all the kids. While there, one of my friends came up to me and said, "Oh, Georgie! You went brown with your hair!" I replied, "Yes, well, you know, I thought it might look more natural to do it this color."

As I waited for her response...totally waiting for her to "oooooh and ahhhhh" she just nodded and said NOTHING!!!!

Well, I thought to myself, the hair must be pretty bad if it goes unnoticed, trailer park trash, or silence. I consoled myself with the thought that the color will eventually fade over 6 weeks and I would get my normal color back.

Later, my husband(who rarely comments on my hair unless promted) came in, looked at me and said:

"Wow! Look at your hair! You look so sexy and young! It's like I have another wife 10 years younger!" I hugged my sweet husband, gave him and kiss, smiled and went off to clean the house.

I am SO leaving my hair this color!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Georgie:


Forget the hair, I love your heart and soul. The sweet daughter, wife and Mom that you have become.

You open your mouth and I am in love with you all over again.......You are our beautiful " Chilean uninvited little guest that has been the greatest joy along with your brother and sister.

I think that the Blessed Mother finds you funny too.

You know who

Georgie Tamayo Clemens said...

MOM! You made me cry! Stop that...
Love you