Monday, October 24, 2005

The spirit is willing.....

I did my Monday routine today of getting all four kids off to school, exercising, stopping off for my energy-boosting unsweetened iced tea and then grocery shopping at Sam's. Back when we only had one or two kids, Sams was a losing proposition. We would always buy something in bulk and later feel bad when the one time leftovers would rot. NOT SO anymore! Now with our brood, Sam's is THE place to go to buy those large assortments of yogurt, bread, apples, pears, carrots, milk (only $2.49 for 2%!), eggs (24pk), pretzels, and the ever important Halloween Candy.

I bought 3 large bulk bags of Halloween candy. One bag was filled with my personal favorite mini-sized candy: Almond Joy. The mistake I made was that I put that large bag of candy RIGHT in front of me in the kiddy seat of the Sams basket. As I sauntered through the isles, I kept staring at that bag of candy wondering if I should open it up and take one (only one) Almond Joy. And so I did..after all I had just exercised, didn't I? I took one.

I ate my mini candy bar and felt satisfied, but after a few minutes, the opened bag of candy was calling me again. I thought to move the bag away from the kiddie seat...but there was not enough room in the basket to move it. Well, I thought to myself...it's just meant to be. I ate another.

As I checked out, my guilt overwhelmed me so I decided to share the guilt. I said to the rather large-sized, Latino checkout lady, " I opened my candy bag. Would you like a piece of chocolate?" She said in her latin accent, " Oh, jes! I wood lof some of dat candy!" (I knew she would say yes.) Ha! Now I had a partner in crime. We BOTH were guilty of eating chocolate at 10:30 in the morning. I felt better and my urge to eat more candy was gone. ( I have issues, I know.)

I had purchased a large amount of groceries from Sam's so I had a bit of trouble fitting everything in the Navigator, so some things had to be put in the passengers seat. As I started my drive home, I started to think about that opened bag of candy. Where did I put it? As I looked over in the passenger seat...there it was! My opened bag of candy! I ate another glorious piece. (At this rate, there would not be any candy left for Halloween!)

I got home and started to empty out the car. I gathered my strength, grabbed that opened bag of candy and placed it OUTSIDE on the shelves in the garage. It would at least be out of sight and hopefully out of mind.....

until tonight!

No comments: