Saturday, April 22, 2006

Yes, it's true.

The word is getting around that we're expecting a 5th child. I'm always amused at people's reactions when they find out. I promised myself that I would write some of these reactions down, so this is the theme of today's post. To be accurate, the vast majority of people are sincerely happy for us, but every now and then I get the stunned, crazed look that's accompanied by a silly question or phrase. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Are you crazy? (my personal favorite)
2. Well, if you are happy, then I am happy
3. So... how do you feel about that?
4. Was it planned?
5. Oh. Did you know our donkey is pregnant too?
6. Could you repeat that?
7. I'm glad it's you and not me
8. How old are you?
9. Does your husband know?
10. Haven't you figured out what causes that yet?

7 comments:

Layla said...

Oh, the responses one could come up with for those--especially that last one. Most of them probably aren't suitable for polite company, but then again, the people with the gall to say such things to you aren't exactly polite...

Congratulations, Georgie. My prayers are with you and Number Five for a very happy and healthy term.

Julie D. said...

I know someone who, in response to that last comment, used to say, "Oh yes, and my husband and I just LOVE it!"

That would abash and shut up people at the same time.

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Wow, amazing. I'm already preparing myself for that since 90% of the people we know agonize about whether to have one or (gasp!) TWO children.

I told my husband that I'm going to have a baby shower when we get to #4 and ask for brass knuckles and a tazer to deal with people who make those types of comments. :)

Congrats!

Michelle said...

I was at the grocery store with all five of mine yesterday and was asked by the clerk if they were all mine. I said yes and that I'd left the other 5 at home!!! Hahaha. I had a great laugh when I saw the look of shock on her face.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

When people say things like, "Wow, isn't it hard/overwhelming/impossible to get anything done?" I just smile and say, "Well, I didn't have them all at once!" Which wouldn't work for multiples, but it still makes people stop and grin and agree with me (especially because they can see that the 11, 8, and 5 year old are so helpful). Hey, will you have to change the name of your blog? Maybe numbah five won't be a cryer???? (Fat chance, huh?)

Georgie Tamayo Clemens said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone with all the comments. All of you have grrreat come-backs! I guess we all must deal with the insensitivities of others, but overall...we learn what not to do to others.

Keep praying for me ladies, as you all will be in my prayers.

Amy said...

Oh Georgie! I have heard all of those and more. My response to thew person who said that last one to me this time, "Yes, we do know how it happens and we are VERY good at it."
I got it from this website: http://www.plomp.com/largefam/comebacks.htm
You are doing great. Don't let those people get you down.
Oh wait... I didn't hear the one about the donkey... ?!?!