Monday, January 09, 2006

Beware Of The Trombone Player

Every parent prays for their children to succeed.

It's crucial for a child to be successful at something. Anything. Big or Small. Something that makes them stand out from the crowd. Now I'm not talking about a success that makes them "popular" or "important" although sometimes that happens with success. I'm mostly talking about that thing that makes a child "secure" INSIDE and happy about themselves. It's that thing that gives them an identity. It becomes a good jumping off point in life and sets a foundation for confidence in themselves as God made them. As parents, we pray for our children to find that success one day.

As a young girl, my "thing" was singing. I sung in the church youth choir; competed in choir competitions, sang solos and even got a scholarship in music when I went to college. Music gave me confidence and an identity and that, in turn, gave me confidence from which I could succeed in my life later on.

I think Rebecca found her success today.

Rebecca is a member of the Middle School band. She is a trombone player. She loves music of all kinds..... Especially any music that includes a trombone part. On her trombone case there is a sticker that says, "Beware of the trombone player". (I found that on E-BAY)She's even got her own web-site on the topic of trombones. Being in band is Rebecca's joy and is that "thing" that "gets her up in the morning." She practices her trombone all the time and anywhere. In fact, she brought her trombone along on our road trip to Texas (we crammed it in-between suitcases and Christmas gifts) and practiced whenever she could to prepare for her District competition slated for Saturday.

When she left for her competition, I knew it would make or break her young spirit. If she MADE the District band, it would, finally be that ONE success that she needed to find her identity. If she did NOT make it, I knew she would be crushed..as she'd been many times before...and left to wonder what she would ever excel at. And I would have to pick up the pieces of a very disappointed child and THAT is not a fun mommy job at all. I prayed that God's will would be done for Rebecca and reminded her to say a prayer before she went into the judges room, " You KNOW I WILL MOM!" she responded in her "duh" tone.

Rebecca came back from her competition happy and fairly confident that she had done a good job. Results weren't due back until today (Monday), but Becca, in her anticipation, must have checked the bandmasters web-site 20 or 30 times before today. As a mom, I held my breath...hoping...praying that she at least PLACED somewhere in the rankings. (Last year, she did not make it at all.) She left for school this morning promising to call if she heard the results. And she did.

Becca: Mom! I'm 6th chair symphonic band!! I think it's the top band mom! I think it's the top band!

Me: (I hid my tears of joy and relief) Becca! That is so fantastic! We knew you would do it, we knew it!!We are SO proud of you!

Becca: Mom! I think I'm the only one from my school to make that band!

Me: Really? Are you sure? That is great!

I get so emotional over these things. In fact, tears of happiness are falling on the keyboard even as I write this. My daughter is happy. Really happy. I'm thrilled that she has found her success through a little thing like trombone playing. But for now: BEWARE OF THE TROMBONE PLAYER!

Here are her scores. She is number 25:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Almost makes me want to go down to Charlotte, dig my old trombone out of my parents' attic, and start practicing again...

Congrats!