Monday, January 16, 2006

Tooth or Dare

Tonight is my Catholic Women's Book Club and I've been catching up on the readings. We are reading a book called "When Mother's Pray" by Cheri Fuller. It has some good advice for moms with kids at every stage and encourages moms to seek God in prayer through the good and bad times. I was enjoying my quiet time with my book and bible study questions...meditating on this verse:

"I have no greater joy than this; to hear of my children walking in the truth"

3 John 1:4


How awesome that would be: to hear of my children walking in the truth...One day standing strong in their convictions and understanding the magnitude of Christ's love for them.

These days, I mostly hear my children literally walking on each other than hear them walking in the truth. For example, as I was finishing my readings, I hear a loud squeal coming from one of the bedrooms where Jack and Gus are playing.

Gus: MOOOOOOOM! Jack lost a toooooth! Jack lost a tooooth!

Everyone excitedly came downstairs to see Jack's first lost tooth. Jack held his tooth up for all to see and grinned his toothless grin. It was a small tooth, tiny, cute and totally ready for the tooth fairy!

Jack: (excitedly) It didn't hurt when it came out! It just...CAME OUT!

Chris: Jack! That is so great!! What were you doing when it came out?

Jack: (matter of factly) I was biting Gus.

There was much laughter after Jack's response which made me realize that the message God may have been sending me with this verse was much simpler, much more down to earth, more of an everyday joy. Maybe it was better stated for me today as:
I have no greater joy than this, than to hear of my child losing a tooth!

God and I can worry about the Truth later, but for now, enjoy the small moments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Georgie,
I visited your website for the first time since we spoke on the phone - the same day Texas beat USC. Thanks for your posts. I needed a good laugh today. I think you could start another blog about funny t-shirts, hats and bumper stickers that I have seen.

Georgie Tamayo Clemens said...

Sounds like a great idea!

See you soon.

Georgie