Monday, January 02, 2006

Donkey Biology 101

We’ve traveled to my in-laws home in the metropolis of Amory Mississippi, population 5000, located 30 miles south of Tupelo. It’s a different kind of life here: quiet, slow, friendly, and very, very, southern.

My in-laws have quite the place here. Their home sits on 6 acres which holds a large pond, tennis courts, a tire swing, garden, and workhouse. In addition, my in-laws are the proud parents of two donkeys (named Paco and Rosa), two ducks, countless fish in the pond and a dog. It is kid heaven here with many activities to choose from. My boys run wild here with their fake guns, ‘coon-skin caps, spyglasses and treasure maps.

One of the popular things to do here with the kids is to take a canoe ride on the pond. Paco and Rosa longingly stare from their spot on the other side of the pond at who-ever gets into the canoe….hoping they will float by for a visit. Jack, Rebecca and I decide to take a slow ride over to the donkey’s side of the pond. Little did I know that I would have to explain reproductive biology of the animal kingdom. Even I was unsure what to say when I saw the enormous reproductive “organ” of Paco….it caught me by surprise:

Jack: Mom, look at Paco’s Poo Poo. It’s so BIG.

Me: (unsure of what to say to a 6 year old) Jack, I don’t think that’s Poo Poo. I think it’s his Wee Wee (OK, yeah, I don’t use proper terms for body parts.)

Jack: Aw mom! That’s his poo poo!

Becca: (in shock) Mom! That is SO NASTY! In fact, that is the NASTIEST thing I’ve EVER seen! I’m never going to sleep correctly again!

Jack: (laughing) That’s funny.

Becca: Mom! It’s so LONG! Why is he doing that?

Me: Well…(ug…a mom is never prepared for these kind of talks) there must be something that is exciting him. It could be Rosa that he likes or maybe the wind makes him feel good or maybe he’s happy to see us…(That made Rebecca laugh out loud.)

Becca: He’s excited to see US?

Me: (laughing) You never know! Uh, Becca, let’s float away from the donkeys…it’s time to move on.

As we paddled away silently, I heard Jack whisper to himself:

Jack: That was his poo poo.

No comments: