Monday, January 23, 2006

I'm bugged

Soooo. I have only 1 1/2 weeks before my talk in Smithfield and have not prepared ONE WORD. The title of my talk is: "How to be a good Catholic Woman in today's modern world" which will (if I ever sit my butt down to write) include relevant ways to grow in faith as women of God in today's modern world.

Relevance. Relevance. That is my thing these days with faith. If faith does not have relevance to one's daily life, how can it be of help? For example: You take a mom with two or three young children and she struggles to get them fed, dressed, out to school/church. She feels lonely, fatigued, isolated, and maybe even unappreciated. Her husband works long hours and comes home late, her friends work while she stays home...ok, you get the picture.

The LAST thing this modern Catholic woman needs is a talk on say, "Multiculturalism in the Catholic Church" or say, a guilt trip on her prayer life (or lack thereof). What this poor soul NEEDS is nourishment/friendship from other moms in her same situation. She needs bible studies on how to become a holier wife-mother-christian. She needs tips on "little" ways to guide her children on the path of faith. She needs retreats where she can stop, breath, and reflect on what God wants of her or a retreat for her and her spouse where they can re-connect as a couple. She needs a parish with a heart for family life, a moms morning out program, Christ-centered child-rearing classes, talks on how to make Christ the priority in the home. Above all, she needs INSPIRATION!

It bugs me that there are so few options around me that support moms like this. In our Diocese we have Ministries for the Young Adults, Hispanics, African-American, Youth, Divorced or Separated (annulments), Child and Youth Protection, Vocations, Cathoic Social Ministries, Crusillo and on and on. BUT NOTHING that supports parents, moms, marriages, the nuclear family. Now don't get me wrong, we DO have NFP, Marriage Prep and the occasional Marriage Encounter and the Offices I've mentioned are extremely necessary; but shouldn't there be an office for "Catholic Family Support" which regularly brings in RELEVANT speakers on the topic of family life? Retreats with a focus on strengthening relationships? Resources of books for families to share? The few times I've talked to moms groups they always seem DESPERATE for any of these things or even some small "bone to chew on."

Yadda, yadda, yadda. I guess I am just lamenting the fact that we "everyday" Catholics need MORE tools to help us achieve the perfection that Christ calls us to in our daily work. There are so many great Protestant books that address these issues, but far fewer on the Catholic shelves. If you have any suggestions...please let me know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Georgie,

I put out a link to this post of yours on my blog--we'll see if it reaches any folks who might know of some resources that could be some help to you as you prepare this talk.

Georgie Tamayo Clemens said...

I have one really good resource through St. Mary's Press...which actually is a youth publisher. It has some good stuff for youth that can be reorganized into a talk for adults. But still...it's the principal of it all.

Thank for your help....

Paul said...

Sshhh, you've stumbled on one of the big secrets of modern society: we don't particularly like families, and so even things like the Church tend to overlook them to an extent. Don't tell anyone.

However, you might try contacting Mrs. Mary Van Epps, who is the Diocese of Memphis's NFP Center director. She has sort of a mini-empire of pro-family activities, of which the NFP stuff is just one. I'm sure she could give you some pointers or tell you where to look for information. Her email is Marypat.vanepps@cc.cdom.org and her office phone is (901) 373-1285. Good luck.

berenike said...

Try my new co-blogger Cleopatra, raising three children (and teleworking). You can contact her through our comments.

Amy Anne said...

This doesn't apply directly to your talk prep, but there is a fantastic book called Woman of Grace: A Bible Study for Married Women by Michaelann Martin. It would be a wonderful way for a group of moms to get together & share, or just a spiritual retreat on your own. Very Catholic too!

Georgie Tamayo Clemens said...

Amyann

Yes! I have that bible study and it is VERY Catholic. Thanks for reminding me that I have it!